Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Simple Fuel Saver Strategies

Fuel Saver Strategy #2

My next fuel saver strategy is to anticipate traffic conditions ahead of me. By so doing I avoid having poured on the gas only to have to jam my brakes to stop at a traffic light or lose my momentum behind a slow moving lane. This fuel saver strategy requires your mind to be active in looking out for traffic in front of you and avoiding them or making decision to slow down instead of pressing harder on the accelerator.

For example, the fuel saver habit in me, having seen that the traffic light 200 meters in front of me is red and cars are stopped behind it, it would be highly unlikely that I would be able to continue driving at the speed that I was doing. So I would release the accelerator pedal and let the car cruise. If before I reach the traffic light, it turns green, then I take advantage of the momentum still available to gradually pick up speed again.

The anti-fuel saver in me, in such a situation, instead would have had continued to press on the accelerator and reached the traffic light earlier, thus had to stop. Seconds later, the light turns green and I would have had to waste more gas by overcoming the inertia of the car, having no momentum to ride on. It's much like riding the wave.

The worst are anti-fuel saver habits that seeing a red light in front accelerates further and jams brake upon reaching it. If you're guilty of such a habit, it's time to change and cultivate new fuel saver habits.

No comments: